Sunday, December 10, 2006

The bottle feeding frenzy

Send me an example of any WHO Code violations, and I will add it to this blog entry.

I'll go first:

In two days, I have seen two or three ads for Nestle "Good Start Supreme" Formula, with happy cute smiley babies who are free of eczema and runny nose and gas, with the cute little hearts floating around the screen, on NICKELODEON during programs my son watches. He's two. I know - you say "Perhaps he should not be watching TV." But he does, and he loves to watch commercials as well, (I used to too and depending on what it is, whether it is Barbie's 12 dancing Princesses, Floam, or a Hallmark commercial, or a Lever 2000 commercial with a hot soapy wet male model, I will still do it!) and well, he thinks that the Nestle commercial is worth watching. I guess the sight of a baby drinking from a bottle intrigues him, and the floaty hearts don't help matters.

Plus, he likes babies, live, on TV, or in pictures.

I see bottles everywhere, but to me the advertising is the worst part of everything. Especially when you consider the web address for Nestle is "VeryBestBaby.com"

Poor little babies! Cute babies being used to market formula is just going to appeal to the market and put all babies at risk! Yes, the babies are all wonderful and "the best," it's the food they're getting that isn't. Hello! Giving your baby formula does not make him the best baby. He already is the best he'll be, the way God made him.

Babies are all sweet and innocent and deserving of protection!

===============

1-4-2007
Recently returned a gift - a new baby keepsake album because of the "Holds Own Bottle" among other things written inside. This was a Winnie the Pooh book at Target. I sent them a nice little letter about the WHO Code.

No comments: